THE ZODIAC WAR
^ _ ` a b c d e f g h i

Chapter 13: An Old Enemy, An Old Friend

Ramza and Delita were the first to go and lift the bodies up. Alma took off her robe momentarily and tied it into a makeshift stretcher to put the woman in. While Garnet cast float on it to make it lighter to carry around. Just for precaution, Beowulf disarmed the man in black and kept his long blade for safekeeping. Ramza and Delita slung the man's arms around over their shoulders and started heading upwards, bringing the three stones with them.

"Hmm....he's Aries alright, but what's with Cloud, why was he like that just now, is this the guy from his past that he hated?"

Delita followed up on Ramza's question, "He looks like the former Marquise Elmdor of Limberry, even the sword too, they used to call him, 'the Silver Ogre' maybe they're related?"

Ramza replied, "maybe, after all, Aries was the god of war, you know."

Reis followed behind them and said, "as far as I can tell Cloud seemed taken with this girl here, in fact, I thought I saw a girl just her age back in Zhargidas Trade City."

"If you want to know what I think," Beowulf said his arms just barely able to balance the ridiculously long blade, "I think we're supposed to help Cloud through this, remember what Bugenhagen said? That he must face his greatest love and greatest hate. Maybe these are those two people..."

"Possible, but Cloud may have had another reason for running away..., we just aren't sure as to what that reason was." Ramza replied.

It only took a few hours to march back up to the surface of the City of the Ancients. The party had been through a lot of emotional trauma, and they needed rest. Luckily, the airship was hovering nearby, and they climbed aboard.

Questions filled their minds, but one thing was constant, Cloud definitely had issues that needed to be resolved. Ramza spoke with Cid as to the whereabouts of Cloud.

"Well, he did climb back in the airship, but he's in the engine room, I suggest you leave 'em alone for the time being, all things considered. The man and woman you brought along with you are his true love and his worst enemy seemingly resurrected. The only reason I trust you guys with that conked-out Sephiroth is 'cause you took his sword and you're Zodiac Braves. That's the only reason I'm takin' that varmint on board with us, if he wakes up and starts up some chaos, I'm gonna throw him overboard y'hear."

"Yes, Sir, Mr. Highwind!" Ramza said, a little shocked as to whom they had carried up to the surface.

It only took them a quick flight back to Cosmo Canyon, and they brought the two bodies and put them in secure huts. Agrias and Beowulf guarded the man Cid had named Sephiroth's hut, while the girl was being watched by Alma and Garnet.

It was later that night when the meeting fire was lit that Ramza and Delita found Cloud standing completely rigid next to the fire, his face hard as stone. Reis ran towards them at full speed and yell, "She's awake, the girl is awake!!"

Cloud heard the news and looked in disbelief; his hard face melted away and seemed to soften even more as he slowly paced toward the hut, with Delita and Ramza following him.

She was not only awake, but also standing in the doorway with a blanket wrapped around her shoulders holding warmed tea. Cloud looked at her silently as if he saw the perfection of beauty. She looked at him in a most sincere way, "Do...I know you? You...seem...familiar."

"My name is...Cloud...and you...you're..."

She replied, "Aeris, my name is Aeris, I remember....a loud explosion...people...running about in confusion....then I ran into.....you...."

He followed, "And you.....sold me...a flower...for 1 gil."

Then she looked mystified as if she were lost, "then I woke up here.....where...am I? I'm.....frightened...."

"It's okay..." Cloud walked up to her and held her hand for a moment.

"Hold me...just for a little while...." She embraced him, placing her head on his chest and softly sobbed.

"Shhhhh...." he quieted and comforted her from the trauma. Feeling her hair in his fingers felt like silk and soft spun auburn thread. He could now love again.

Delita and Ramza saw that it was time that they left the hut and went to go look into the other hut near the cave. When they arrived Beowulf and Agrias were standing guard as they had been assigned, no change.

"Beowulf, where did you place the long sword?" Ramza asked.

"Its location is secure, Master Ramza, I secured it with our other belongings which are being watched even as we speak."

"Very well, Delita and I are going to check in on our so-called guest."

On to Chapter 14 >>>>

Back to Chapter Index >>>>