THE ZODIAC WAR
^ _ ` a b c d e f g h i

Chapter 25: The Problem Accelerates

"I know what they are.......," Ramza said, "They're Ultima Lucavi...worst form of demon known in existence....and you say their replicating monsters?"

"All we know is that the monsters annually create a massive blast known as the lunar cry, but it usually has only one focal point which we can usually use the lunar base's laser technology to eliminate, but these new creatures are replicating monsters at a terrifying rate, and constantly moving as they do so, so that we cannot target the focal points.

Plus there are multiple focal points, never have we seen events like this, if all these points fire all at once, there is no way we could just defend Esthar, other cities like Dollet, Balamb, even Galbadia would be hit massively. Each of these points registers at a good 40 kilometers in diameter."

Rinoa spoke up, "I can only cast a barrier approximately to the outskirts of Esthar, but that's only 60 miles in diameter. But you said there's more than one? How many points are there?"

The lab tech replied, "at last count, we saw at least 20 points preparing to fire a salvo on us."

Delita spoke up, "That's where we come in, Rinoa, Squall, once you create the barrier, we will perimeter the barrier and touch it with our Zodiac Stones and the result would be turning the barrier into a massive counter-focal point."

"But that's only a 60 miles in diameter. It's only capable of destroying one of them, we need something bigger." Rinoa pleaded.

Alma replied, "Rinoa, you may be a sorceress, but you're not the only one with magical powers, I am a Priestess, Garnet is a Master Summoner, and Agrias is a Holy Knight. If we pool our powers together, we can beat these things. All you have to do is set up the barrier, we'll do the rest."

"Okay, but I can only hold it for a total of ten minutes, then I'll have to rest and recharge the barrier, but what if we can only hit one target in that amount of time?"

"We've already taken care of that Rinoa," Squall said glancing at Laguna who then explained: "While the braves trigger the anti-focal point, Squall and an ally of his have volunteered for the mission of exterminating these Ultima focal points, and any extra focal points we miss."

A hearty laugh that chilled Ramza to the bone made him turn around to face the door. A cocky redheaded man swung a gunblade pistol over his shoulder, never bothering to glance at everyone in the room, just at Squall.

"You didn't forget I was coming along to kill those bugs did you?"

Cloud and Sephiroth remembered what the man at the shop had said about watching out for a man in black with a gunblade, but this guy hardly seemed to fit the bill, he was dressed in a drab gray trenchcoat and wore a black tee shirt, totally contrast to Squall's look of all black with white tee and silver Lion pendant.

If Squall was one of their allies, should they trust him? And what about this red-haired guy, he seemed reckless and wild, no consideration for anybody else, and yet he also looked just as cold and calculating as Squall.

"......." Squall grimaced, "Guys this is Seifer, he's going with me on the expedition to the moon while you handle the big points."

Aeris looked at them in disbelief and said, "But how can you handle billions of monsters when there are only two of you?"

Seifer gave her the look over and said, "No problem, babe, the Presidante' is gonna give us a huge arsenal."

Aeris blushed and looked down, Cloud was ready to Omnislash him there and then. Sephiroth just turned his back and mumbled something about what a fool that man was.

"You're going on a suicide mission, and you didn't even tell me?! How dare you not tell me, Squall!" Rinoa yelled at him.

".....You know you're not rational when you're like this, Rinoa." He said nonchalantly.

"You're right I'm not rational! But so are you for thinking you can just leave and get killed without telling me!" Rinoa stomped her foot on his.

He winced, but then saw the pain in her eyes realizing how she loved him and didn't want him up there with such odds, let alone with a turncoat like Seifer. See there was nothing she could do to convince him otherwise she simply stood there, crying. Brushing the tears away, he kissed her on the forehead, and turned to face Seifer.

"Well, isn't that just romantic!" Seifer said sarcastically, "We gotta go launch in those watchacallits.....you know, the war mechs!"

"The lunar strike mobile suits," Squall slapped his forehead and groaned realizing the only thing Seifer was interested in was blowing stuff up.

Squall continued his explanation, "I wouldn't be any use to you down here, anyway, Rinoa, I need to fight these things, it's my duty as a Sorceress Knight."

Laguna interjected, "We're relying on you to eliminate the extra focal points, I and Esthar are counting on you....son.." he said quietly.

Squall had a look of consternation in his eyes about Laguna that said, I'm not doing this for you or for Esthar, I'm doing it for Rinoa's sake.

"Are you sure that's a wise idea, considering the fact that you'll be the only two fighting up there?" Ramza slightly switched the gears of conversation.

"From what we've gathered on the breeds of monsters up there combined with our weaponry, we'll be okay." Squall responded matter-of-factly, the perfect SeeD. Rinoa nudged her disapproval, and he squeezed her hand in acknowledgment.

"The thing that worries me," Aeris said, "is that you're outnumbered by a good billion fiends, and you have to avoid getting blasted by the fiends cries on the surface as well. Not to mention these new Ultima Demons."

"That's been pretty much taken care of, Aeris," Laguna smiled, confidently, "The mobile suits are designed with gunblade swordsmen in mind, this will greatly increase Squall's and Seifer's battle ability. They'll be able to eliminate most of the extra points while we deflect the largest point."

The party had mixed emotions at that point, the men in the party felt a little jealous of Squall and Seifer, and Seifer made it a point at how much he was going to enjoy fighting the beasts by rubbing it in. The mages were focusing on how and where they were supposed to set up positions. Squall however, was apathetic and merely thought of this as another SeeD Mission.

On to Chapter 26 >>>>

Back to Chapter Index >>>>