THE ZODIAC BRAVE ALLIANCE
^ _ ` a b c d e f g h i

Chapter 6: A Challenge Issued

As if on cue, Pharda’s voice echoed among the rocks deep underground, confirming his observation.

“I really don’t think it’ll be that easy to get this stone, remember the Golem? I think somebody put it there.” Urd said in a tone of caution.

As Pharda reached down to pick up the glowing stone, a large purple blade was placed near his throat, the blade itself reflecting his image on it.

“I wouldn’t take that if I were you…,”

The voice was feminine, yet very gruff, as if the very voice of the person were speaking through the edge of the massive sword.

The other three quickly drew their weapons.

“Wait!!” Pharda held up a hand, telling them to stay attacking. He put up both his hands and slowly looked up.

“Who are you, and why would it be wrong for me to take this stone?”

A young woman with blonde-white hair, and light gold armor looked at him, her eyes an odd green-blue.

“Because it belongs to me,” She said.

“You didn’t answer the first question.”

“Why should I trust the four of you? You might be one of those evil Lucavi in human disguise for all I know. Give me proof I can trust you.”

Pharda said nothing except held up his glowing stone, which was identical to the one on the ground.

“Gaia sent us to get these…I’ll ask you again…who are you?”

The woman quickly turned her back on him, with a satisfied smirk she said, “I guess I can trust you for a while, my name is Tempest and what I do is no one’s business.”

“You said this stone belongs to you…what did you mean?”

“It’s been in my family for generations, that golem stole it, and it’s the only thing I had left of them, since she showed up.”

“She hurt you bad too, didn’t she…”

“It doesn’t matter if I’m hurt so long as she’s defeated.”

“… but you look to be a Cancer/Aquarius, resilient and sincere, that stone can’t be your totem…” he looked at it further, “This is Aries/Libra…?”

“You’re amusing, are you a stand-up comedian or a warrior?”

“I used to think the latter, now I feel I need a little humor in my…life.”

“Well, are you going to fight me or aren’t you?”

“What?” Pharda looked up in surprise.

“Yes, that’s the only way you’re gonna get that stone, is by facing me.”

“Sorry, lady, but if that stone really belongs to you, we shouldn’t stake claim to it.”

“Pharda? What are you saying?” Urd said, rather confused at this point, as it was utmost priority that they get the stones.

“I see…, I’ve never heard of a man backing down from a fight…,” Tempest said as she scooped up the stone in one hand and hoisted her massive sword over her shoulder, almost effortlessly. “Well, it doesn’t matter…,” She safely tucked the glowing bi-color stone away in her armor, “ ‘Cause I’m fighting you anyway!!” And grasping both hands around the hilt of the massive blade, she charged at Pharda.

“Huh!!??” Pharda yelped barely missing her swipe at him, but before he could say anything else, she was on him, cleaving and striking, while he desperately tried to parry each blow with his katana.

“Hmm…you’re quick, for a man…,” she smirked and smacked the side of his face with the flat side of her blade, which made him reel.

“Unngh!!!” Pharda grunted reeling back from the blow, it didn’t cut him or hurt him really, only his pride as a swordsman, “Oh, that is so IT!!!” And with a flash of anger, Pharda was up close and personal in the lightning quick duel of blades.

The rest of the party could only stand and watch as the two warriors clashed, moving in quick blurs. Even Andomiel had a hard time catching up with the fight.

Thrust. Duck. Clash. Jump. Pharda seemed to move in tandem with every attack Tempest threw at him, then switching from defense to offense, Pharda performed an aerial roundhouse kick, that knocked both Tempest to the ground, and her blade away from her. In a rage, Pharda leapt on her, expecting equal ferocity, but instead…laughter?

“Huh?” Pharda was thoroughly confused at this point, sitting atop Tempest, he finally felt her feminine form.

“You are truly amazing…heh…better than I’d hoped…and you’re cute too…”

Pharda realizing the position he was in, blushed and quickly leapt off her. “Er…come again?”

“Don’t you get it? I was testing you. I found out what happened and what she did to you, I needed to know if you could handle it out there.”

“You…were testing me?” Pharda scratched his head in confusion.

“So who exactly are you anyway?” Andomiel questioned.

“As I said, my name is Tempest…I’m after her like you guys, I sensed you and followed you through the caverns.”

“Then how come you beat us to the stone?” Andomiel asked cynically.

“Eh-heh,” Tempest laughed, “I, uh, took a different entrance, but I still found you, so why the questions?”

“Urd, you think we can trust her?” Andomiel looked inquisitively.

“So NOW he asks for my opinion, why didn’t you guys ask me about that ninja before?…Sheesh, men…,” Fenris shot her a glare and she amended, “Present company fifty percent discluded.” Fenris smiled at this.

“So do you trust me or not?” Tempest said, rather impatiently.

“No, but you can tag along, if you want.” Andomiel said, sarcasm obviously showing.

“Oh don’t worry I’ll win you over, hee-hee,”

“I sincerely doubt that.” He smiled.

On to Chapter 7 >>>>

Back to Chapter Index >>>>