THE ZODIAC WAR
^ _ ` a b c d e f g h i

Chapter 19: Of All Possible Futures

Garnet got a good look at the party, and used Prostasia to fix any armor, and Curaga to heal any wounds inflicted, although none seemed to need it.

The two parties heard clomping from the cave they came from, and were prepared to draw their weapons when they realized that it was only Alma and her group, having followed them.

"What did we miss?" Delita asked Ramza.

"A two headed dragon getting sliced up..." Ramza said, non-chalantly.

"Darn, how come you always seem to fight the cool battles?" Delita whined sarcastically.

"Wasn't me...." Ramza replied.

"Huh?"

"Just Cloud and Sephiroth doing something called X-strike, killed the dragon in two blows."

"Oh yeah, just that quick huh? They're good."

"Yeah, cool huh?" Delita imitated Zidane with a smirk.

"Whoa, not cool," Zidane interrupted as a swarm of Tonberries seemed to seethe back into the main cave area, faster than anyone could react.

"Sssssho, you people....have killed the Sssssshchitzo Dragon for ussssssh," the Tonberry King said, "He wassssh sssssshuch a nuissssshance, what can we do to repay you?"

"All we ask," said Delita, "is that you lead us to the Great White Cavern, we wish to go there."

"Hmm...., the Time gate, eh? Very well, I ssssssshall sssssshend one of my ssssshcouts to lead you there, but be warned, if you ssssssshould crossssssh here again, you ssssshall be executed on the sssssshpot."

The cavern was very lengthy and tedious, but the little Tonberry knew exactly where to lead them, avoiding all the pitfalls and traps his tribe set up along the way. Eventually they came to an icy crystal cavern which seemed it would have been freezing cold, but it was actually quite warm.

"Thissssssh issssh the place...." the scout said, "now leave and don't come back!" the creature ran away.

"Well, he was sure friendly," Zidane said sarcastically.

"It's time," Alma said, "Everyone return your exchanged Zodiac Stones to the people you traded with."

The group did so, and began to stand on each of the corresponding platforms that represented their symbols.

Delita stepped into the middle of the circular platform and drew forth his Zodiac sword Legend, having a perfect blade and hilt, elegant in its design. "The very key to time travel, I won't abandon this blade in any battle."

As each stood on the platform they raised their symbolic stones, and trusted the stones to carry them toward their destinies. Delita, with a firm resolve, drove his sword into the anvil that would send them to another time.

The blue light seemed to glow even brighter than the last time, almost a white color, but a bit dimmer.

As each member of the party stood up and looked into the light, they realized, they were out in the open somewhere. A set of highly technical buildings surrounded them, and they found themselves standing on a platform hoisted high in the air by a series of statues. Looking down was no problem for Ramza, but getting down was another problem altogether.

"I'll get us down," Alma said.

"In newest day and darkest hour remember your part, though few may, we shall now ever depart, Warp!"

In the instant she chanted, the party was transported on the ground. Looking up, the buildings seemed to be transparent, but no one inhabited them, nor did anyone seem to find an entrance.

"Hmm...where in the world did we end up....?" Delita asked in confusion.

"Are you lost, or just touring the place?" asked a seemingly friendly voice.

"And who are you, lady?" Delita asked.

"Oh...I forget sometimes to introduce myself, I apologize, I am Ambassador of the nation-city of Esthar, a.k.a. the tourguide, my name is Ellone Loire...." the young woman said with a smile.

She continued, "And this strange place is called Tears' Point, mainly because it's the source of all the lunar cries."

"Lunar cries?" Aeris asked, confused.

"The moon is filled with monsters, which we could never hope to exterminate, but every year when the moon is closest to the planet, the monsters attempt to blast holes into our world with their energy...they hate us such that they will try to destroy anything, even simple objects."

"That..." Aeris said, "Truly is a tragedy..."

"It is a phenomenon that has been occurring for over a millennium, we have yet to discover how to prevent it from happening. Yet I digress....didn't you people need help getting somewhere, especially in those silly medieval costumes of yours, perhaps you do plays?"

"Well....not exactly.." Delita said, thinking about the fact. We must definitely be in the future, but where and when?

"I believe what my friend here is trying to say...." Ramza interrupted, "is that we need transport to the nearest City...if you please..."

"Esthar is the only city in this region, but it is also the largest and perhaps highly technological city on the planet. I do have a land-rover, but I doubt all of you could fit in it, I'll radio for back-up...."

"Thank you Miss--" Delita fumbled.

"Call me Ellone, and your welcome, Esthar is by far one of the greater places to go in this area. Also, do you have any gil for shopping? Because there are many shopping centers there..."

"Well, we do have gil, but it's uh...." Ramza wasn't quite sure if his gil was the type for currency in this era.

"Hmm that's odd...." Ellone looked at his money, "your gil is very old, you may have to go to our mint and have them examine them to give you a value price."

"We'll um, have it examined..." said Delita rather sheepishly.

On to Chapter 20 >>>>

Back to Chapter Index >>>>