THE ZODIAC WAR
^ _ ` a b c d e f g h i

Chapter 20: Life in the City

Ellone used an object Cloud said was a radio and talked to someone a long ways away from where they were, and about an hour later, two strange moving carts that seemed to fly hovered over to them.

“These are your drivers, Biggs and Wedge, they'll take you to wherever you need to go in Esthar. In case you don't know where to go, they'll give you a tour of the place free of charge.”

"Free?" Cloud said a little confused.

"Well, we do get bonuses for every tour we give and--" Wedge explained.

"Shut up, dummy, they don't need to know that!" Biggs interrupted.

"Oh--sorry!" Wedge jumped.

"Okay--everybody hop in, those who don't fit or can ride on the top of this jalopy'll have to ride in wit' Wedge there.." Biggs boomed.

"Before we go--we should agree at a place to meet up at." Delita suggested.

"Don't worry, sir, we will all meet up on schedule in front of the Presidential Estate, President Loire has asked we invite all newcomers to his home for a tour and to meet him personally." Wedge stated.

"P-President?" Cloud stuttered in shock.

"Wait a minute," asked Ramza, "His last name is Loire, could he be related to you perhaps, Ellone?"

"You figured that out did you? Oh well, I guess I should tell you he is my step-father." Ellone said, "He likes it very much when new people come to Esthar, and tries to find time for each new visitor. First can I ask you your names?"

"Well," said Ramza, "These are my friends, Delita, my sister Alma, Cloud, Sephiroth, Agrias, Beowulf, Reis, Aeris, Zidane, Garnet, and I'm Ramza."

"Well, Ramza," she said, somewhat impressed, "I'll let the President know you're coming."

"Wait, will we get to see you gain, Ellone?"

"Don't worry," she said with a smile, "I'll meet up with you at the President's Residence..."

Everyone got into the hovercars and took off. The place they left, Tear's Point, seemed tiny in comparison to the large desert before them, but even that seemed eclipsed by the large highway city that loomed before them.

"Well, there it is, the biggest city on the planet!" Biggs said proudly.

Wedge wasn't much of a tour guide considering the oohs and ahs from the group of five girls in his car, despite Agrias who was pretty silent the girls did all the question asking.

Wedge jumped as Biggs radioed him, "You better get to the Residence on time, otherwise I get in trouble, Wedge!"

"Yes sir! No sir!" he stuttered.

"So...Wedge," Aeris said playfully, "Where can we get into trouble in this town..."

"I-I'm afraid I have to concentrate on my driving you to your destinations ma'am."

"Aww....you're no fun!" she poked fun at him.

"I don't care about having fun," Agrias said bluntly, "I just want to find the rest of the Zodiac stones and get this war over with."

"Agrias, you mean you've never taken a break from being a holy knight? All this time and you never even take time on leave for yourself?" Alma said rather surprised.

"I swore fealty to the Church, and I am bound by my oath..." Agrias replied.

"I don't get it Agrias," Garnet said, "Beatrix and Steiner always have nights out on the town together, you've never done anything fun before?"

"I don't believe in having fun...." she said now grumpy.

"That's it! Agrias! I'm taking you, Reis, Alma, and Garnet shopping!" Aeris announced, "Driver, to the nearest clothing shop, please!"

"Sighhhh" was all Agrias would say.

In Biggs' car the conversation wasn't about having fun, but more of what was in Esthar.

"So what exactly do they use for transportation in Esthar, Biggs," Delita asked.

Cloud hoped it wasn't a train.

"Well, we use hoverpads that move to various points all over Esthar, you just have to sit on the panel and you're there."

"What I wonder," Delita asked Ramza, "about our gil, I mean, is how she could say it was old, I thought we had minted this money a few months ago."

"Well, apparently we're in the future, so of course they'll think of it as old, but just for curiosity's sake, why don't we find a coin collector's shop there? Is there one Biggs?"

"Yup, I'll take ya there."

Sephiroth and Cloud weren't that interested in coin collecting, or sightseeing for that matter. This was just another town to them.

"It's the future, isn't it?" Cloud said abruptly, "I wonder what kind of weapons they have in the future, and maybe even armor too.."

Sephiroth replied, grasping the hilt of his sword and retying the threading, "Weapons are all the same to me, they either hurt me or someone else."

Zidane wasn't even interested at all in weapons or money, "I wonder what Esthar girls look like? Maybe I can go out with one! Hoo-hoo! Hot chicks here I come!"

Ramza commented rather dryly, "We'd better get a leash on that animal..."

Beowulf wasn't quite sure what he wanted to do, all he could think of was something to get Reis, maybe a decoration for her Javelin?

The two cars suddenly got into a form of lift which shot them high into central area of the city. The lights illuminated the whole city. Even at night, the lights caused the city to glow.

Each party when their separate routes and would later meet up at the Presidential Residence as agreed. The girls were the first to get to their destination.

On to Chapter 21 >>>>

Back to Chapter Index >>>>